basic -> fig reference guide
basic -> fig reference guide
Hi easylangs,

Nice layout! Easy to follow and fairly quick to find things.
B += x
Curious as to why you chose:

now v print

over

print v

Pete Huh
Thanks for the explanation. Hey, do you remember how Mac didn't get things? I'm hoping this isn't an age related issue, but moving on... Hey, do you remember how Mac didn't get things?

I think I am to ingrained with how I rad QB code to see that other methods are easier for beginners. For me, I like words like "TO" and "STEP"  because they keep my brain on track with where I'm at in the coding process. Coding in a parameter style certainly cuts down on the time, especially for crappy typers, like me, so I can see an advantage there for those who don't need the conversation in the head thing that I need. 

Being ingrained, I haven't found a BASIC I like better than QB. Mostly I've tried out two or three mobile ones. I can start to get a feel for the differences and manage but unfortunately there has always been a stumbling block where the new language has no way of doing what QB can do. That really limits and in a bad way forces modifications to my apps. That plus most everything that is close to QB for mobile can't be compiled as an APK.

I think I also associate results with code snippets. When I was learning, I would take stuff apart and run snippets. Once I saw what the snippet resulted in, my ability to recognize the format to code it in improved. I can look at the fig snippets but without playing around with them and viewing the results of my modifications, I can't really develop an association for the syntax. That and getting older really has slowed me down a lot.

Pete Wink
Doesn't seem seem a little scary? I mean the more people, the more choices, the harder it becomes to translate the way they seen a line of syntax to get it to compile correctly. Now I get why you have trimmed as much fat as possible. As many points as possible need to be condensed to make anything like you are entertaining possible. It reminds me of the Star Trek movie where Scotty came back in time and tried to tell, by talking to, a 1980s computer and get it to build something. 

There have been times I have entertained doing something similar with my text editor. If it sees "for" typed, it would pop up "for i = 1 to..." Google does something similar with Smart Search or whatever they call it. Other text editors I believe can be programmed and also come with their own catch phrases you don't need to finish. There are probably several ones for coders by now. 

I'm happy for you that you are doing this now instead of kicking the can down the road. Computer technology moves to fast to put things off. I actually believe it ran over Rob about three times during QB64 development. The Linux truck wasn't so bad... but that Mac truck, whew! Anyway, point being that I admire the energy you have to put into this project, because it is no small deal. At my age, ideas are still easy to come by but you'd be surprised how much harder it gets to find the energy to play them out. For some weird reason, time compresses (moves faster) too. Yeah, I'd like to see more of TheBOB, too but he has about 10+ years on me.

Pete Smile (Ah, I just substituted the happy smiley that doesn't appear to be stoned, good.)
There are times I wish I was cut out to code in JAVA, C / C++ and I can somewhat feel comfortable with javascript, use it often enough in html stuff. You can get a lot done if you can be comfortable with any of those languages. I mean the main reason QB64 works as well as it does is because it is a BASIC to C/C++ translator. That was a big advantage it had over FB. With the mobile device market, not so much. I'm not sure what one would need to get apps on an iphone but it is clear JAVA leads the way with Android development. I'm fairly skeptical Rob will produce a JAVA based QB64 but if so, and relatively soon, that would be cool. In the meantime, I'll play around a bit with SmallBasic and hope that Chris can make some progress in getting SB to produce APKs. RFO Basic has a separate converter app but get this, your Android device has to be a non-Intel type. Mine (both) run on Intel so scrap that.

Pete Smile
Quote:There are times I wish I was cut out to code in JAVA, C / C++ and I can somewhat feel comfortable with javascript, use it often enough in html stuff.

javascript isnt too bad if you try to make it like basic.

you know i had those python-for-basic-users tutorials, but those turned into python routines for basic users, which turned into fig.

so i think the best thing to do is make languages that are easier and transition better, as interfaces to these languages that have a steeper learning curve.

i redid "mennonites pretty good" qb tutorial for qb64, but its all qb stuff. you know, it doesnt say "heres all the new stuff from qb64 that isnt stable yet." so steves like-- whats the point? (thats how im phrasing it, it was on the python forum, i doubt i can quote it now.)

hmm, whats the point of a 15+ chapter, almost entirely qb-compatible tutorial, in which everything is verified to work in qb64? well, if qb64 is still trying to maintain qbasics legacy...

as ive tried to explain countless times, new features are fine. but it always comes back to new features, because thats the strawman version of what im saying that they constantly throw at me. not just steve, ive been dodging that one for years.

Quote:You can get a lot done if you can be comfortable with any of those languages. I mean the main reason QB64 works as well as it does is because it is a BASIC to C/C++ translator. That was a big advantage it had over FB.

if you mean that it translated to c/c++, so did fb. if you mean it translated from basic... fb eventually got that together.

Quote:I'm not sure what one would need to get apps on an iphone but it is clear JAVA leads the way with Android development.

app inventor, but youd never have the patience for it. its drag and drop.

worse, its one of the best and worst examples of drag and drop-- on the one hand (unlike most drag+drop languages) its really robust-- theres no lack of features. on the other hand, theres no lack of details to do the simplest things either. i mean, its REALLY, REALLY cluttered. way too many parameters to fiddle with.

bplus figured out that you could have stateful commands** work together (even separately) to take parameter load off of commands. i knew that already, but for example instead of having x and y in every graphics statement, you could just specify x and y as commands (kind of like how qb has step(x,y)) and then you could have fewer parameters for nearly every command.

you and i had already done that actually, with colortext and highlight (kind of long names for my taste, but you named them and theyre still in fig.) in qb thats COLOR f,s but in fig its COLORTEXT F HIGHLIGHT S.

the point is that you could have a language where no command had more than one parameter, though drawing a line might then use as many as 4 or 5 commands. its a tradeoff. but these days you can have commands with 10 parameters, and i think thats silly. then your offloading the entire command to google or the ide. imo, that could be a little more basic:

pygame.draw.circle(yourscreen,(255, 255, 255),(int(x), int(y)), 1, 0)
or:
pset (int(x), int(y)), 15

(its a tradeoff.) def qbpset(x,y,c): yourscreen.set_at((x, y), figcgapal[c])

some will notice i used circle to do pset. yes, thats because i hadnt found the set_at command yet.

Quote:I'll play around a bit with SmallBasic and hope that Chris can make some progress in getting SB to produce APKs.

someone i know is throwing out a very nice tablet that has a crack on the edge, but i ordinarily avoid tablets and dont like them very much. ive used a few just to explore the capabilities.

i did get an inexpensive notebook with a touchscreen, but i rarely used that feature. touchscreens in laptops are a ripoff. not only are the not ergonomic (not really anyway) they make the screen prohibitively expensive to replace. my windows technician friend (the only windows tech on earth who i take seriously) says its worth avoiding laptop purchases with touchscreens because if you get a normal screen, you can usually replace the lcd if you break it for less than the cost of the laptop.

with a touchscreen-- you might as well hook that thing up to a monitor, or just buy another laptop.

** sooner or later someones going to tell you that stateful commands are no good for multiprocessing, and thats probably mostly true. what they will miss is that not every command has to be good for multiprocessing. i mean, if youre dealing with a purely functional language then this sort of design is useless.

but instead of talking about when its fine and when its bad, people just create this sort of dogma where "dont use stateful commands" and then other people will say "but you should use objects" and methods ARE stateful commands-- but then someone will jump on that and say "no, thats not what that means"

everyone can put something in a context where it isnt true, if theyre willing to change the subject for the sake of saying "no thats wrong." its like reverse ad hom: instead of using ad hom to try to tear down every argument, they try to take every remark out of context just so they can say "no, you dont know what youre talking about."

it gets reeeeeaaaallly old, but you just go somewhere else where people are more interested in whats being said than how it can be twisted and made false. and yeah, ive ditched a number of "friends" that feel compelled to do that at every turn, because its not healthy to drink half a bottle of antacid every night.

the trick is learning to put individuals behind without ditching a whole forum you know youll be back at a year later, and still occasionally arguing with these people that arent worth the time, and still talking to people that are reasonable in pm. if you pull all the right levers just the right amounts, you can almost stay sane on forums like these. well, almost. im certainly a connoisseur of fallacies and bs at this point, having sampled almost every variety available online.

oh everyones full of it sometimes, but a commitment to fairness and some kind of truth and reason is too rare. i wish we could just blame it all on millennials. it probably has more to do with alcohol and not being able to see the faces of the people that are being attacked.

and yeah, they have "nymity" backwards. its not that anonymity makes people less polite-- people online are just about as obnoxious when they use their real name (do you need more proof than ted w. or bill?) its that they cant look the person theyre attacking in the face-- if they could, some at least would be a little more reasonable.

common theme even on older forums is "im sure if we met in person we would be happy to buy each other a drink." skip all that and have a programming club that meets in a bar.
is "im sure if we met in person we would be happy to buy each other a drink." skip all that and have a programming club that meets in a bar.

-- first smart thing you posted here ...
by the way your real name is a mistery ...he he who care
Oh please, cut the guy some slack. Apparently he has a short penis and is even more frustrated because he has yet to catch moose and squirrel. Well at least Natasha's a hottie. Too bad for him she's more interested in moose, too.

Pete Big Grin
thats peni*, pete-- its a popular brand of corn & potato snack in europe. or so im told.

their slogan is "youre just jealous because i get more peni* than you!"
frustrated ..no about what ???
what might be short penis ..hmmm
probably Pete like short penis in his ass
hiii jaaa
Well at least we got Boris Beatinhoff to start developing a sense of humor around here; so all in all, not a bad day.

So other than upsetting menn and searching endlessly for moose and squirrel, what stuff do you end up programming?

Pete Smile