Post Button
Umm.. I fired up the QB64 Edition this morning and noticed that absence of the "New Thread/Post" button. Can I assume that it is caused by the fact that there are no "new" messages and when there are it will re-appear?

Just curious.

J
May your journey be free of incident.

Live long and prosper.
@Johnno56,

I completely removed them. I mentioned this in the post at http://qb64.thejoyfulprogrammer.com/showthread.php?tid=1310&pid=6877 but I will explain here as well.

The "250 recent posts" box at the top of the index page shows all the latest posts anyone makes. So those two buttons were redundant as they showed you what was already on the index page of the forum.

Did you use those buttons a lot? I can always bring them back if people are actually using them.
Dedicated to empowering computer programming hobbyists, tinkerers, amateurs, and enthusiasts.
profile for Walter Whitman at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Several times a day I visit 'basic' sites (with forums that I am part of) to check out 'whats new' and check for new messages. I can use the "250 recent" page. it's no big deal... I obviously didn't read the post that you referred to... lol

J
May your journey be free of incident.

Live long and prosper.
@Johnno56,

The "250 recent posts" box on the main index page has been a very huge asset to may members, and I have had a lot of comments about how powerful that feature is. However, no one has ever mentioned about the icons in the header being important to them, so I just assumed no one really used them thanks to the "250 most recent posts" box.

I could put the buttons back, but I am about to remove them completely from the top of the page.

I am in the process of putting together a new, fixed footer bar at the bottom of the browser window (not the web page) that will contain the entire menu for the site which will be more convenient, and will free up a lot of web page real estate for other cool features.
Dedicated to empowering computer programming hobbyists, tinkerers, amateurs, and enthusiasts.
profile for Walter Whitman at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Ha, I never noticed the New Thread/Post button. But now that I think about it, it is a main and useful feature on other forums that don't have 250 Recent Posts.

I wonder if it's because all I look at is 250 Recent Posts Block. By the time I'm through with that, nothing "new" is left?
B += x
@Bplus,

The "250 most recent posts" box is a very powerful feature that I believe everyone uses. That is the first thing I look at when I come to this site. It is addictive to see if it is updated.

The "250 most recent posts" block started out as a plugin I found for this forum, but it didn't have the look I wanted, and there were other issues I had with it, so I rebuilt it from scratch.

Originally, it was built with HTML TABLE's, which is normally fine since most things on this forum is built that way. I rewrote it to be built with HTML DIV's. Of course, it is served to the client browser through PHP since it requires access to the database. Also, I kept it as a plugin so I can easily deactivate it if necessary, and move it around the index page quickly.

I fancied the idea once of putting the "250 most recent posts" on every page, but I quickly realized that it would have been too much of a burden on the server to do, and would take up too much space on most other pages.

Also, the "250 most recent posts" box shows the most recent posts made on this forum, so there were no need for those two icons in the top menu, nor is there any need to mark the forums as having new posts you haven't seen yet. The icons were redundant and the marking the posts & threads as read or unread, is a bit taxing on the server as well as the browser since it used cookies. The "250 most recent posts" is cheaper on database access then the read/unread system that most forums use.